Community

UH-discovered asteroid to make close approach to Earth, no impact risk

The asteroid, named 2024 MK, is about 575 feet or nearly two football fields across, and will brighten to visual magnitude 8, fainter than what is visible by the naked eye but easily detectable with binoculars or a small telescope.

PMRF honors Native Hawaiians at annual summer solstice ceremony

“We have our military mission to protect the homeland and protect our island home. Side by side, we have a collective kuleana (responsibility) to this place and to make sure that it endures forever. That’s what this is all about. That’s what the meaning is here,” said PMRF Commanding Officer Capt. Brett Stevenson.

Kapaʻa whale carcass originally planned to be left on shoreline will be buried

“The smell isnʻt that bad, but the hotel managers and also the Bull Shed restaurant, they’ve had to move patrons of the restaurant to different rooms,” said Billy Kinney,  a cultural practitioner from Hanalei who works with Kia’i Kanaloa.

Surfrider dubs July 5 ‘dirtiest beach day’ – Kaua‘i chapter invites island to join cleanup

Surfrider, PAL Hawai‘i and Camp Kumu are partnering to organize the annual July 5 Cleanup at Anahola on the East Side of the Garden Isle.

‘Sky aglow with fire & death’ – Uncle of Kaua‘i man flew on D-Day 80 years ago, long-lost letter shows

Wailuā Homesteads resident Robin Gibson and his family read RAF pilot Gordon Gibson’s handwritten account of D-Day every June.

DLNR documents first recorded monk seal birth at Sand Island

Hawaiian monk seal Rocky (RH58) gave birth to a pup overnight. Today, Rocky and her pup rested on a beach at Sand Island State Recreation Area (SRA) on O‘ahu.

The Grassroot Institute reflects on 2024 legislative session on Kauaʻi

“I always love getting a chance to go out to Kauaʻi and talk with people,” said Ted Kefalas, the organization’s director of strategic campaigns, in an interview following the event.

Māla lā‘au coming to Wailuā Homesteads Park on Kaua‘i; nonprofit wants neighborhood input

The Understory Alliance is behind the proposed māla lā‘au, or forest garden, at an East Side park. It’s a unique project, one county official said.

Kauaʻi health office releases island-wide emergency preparedness report

KDHO conducted door-to-door surveys June 3-7, 2024, at randomly selected households islandwide. Over the course of five days, survey teams completed a total of 177 interviews, collecting valuable data about Kauaʻi residents’ health and well-being, their preparedness for emergencies, and their concerns about climate change impacts.

West Side boat companies host second annual free tour event for local residents

“Just watching all of these local people’s faces get off the boat, and they’re just so stoked and they’re so happy and they brought their kids and their relatives and it’s just … This is what it’s about,” said Candice LeCroix, a founder of the Kikiaʻola Boaters Alliance.

Decomposing whale head washed up on Kapaʻa beach to remain indefinitely

The head of a decaying sperm whale washed up on the shoreline of the Sheraton Kauaʻi Coconut Beach Resort in Kapaʻa on Friday, June 14, and the state Department of Land and Natural Resources says that after discussion with a cultural practitioner, it will not be moved.

Colleague alleges jailed artist’s letter for Kauaʻi councilman was a complaint, not a threat

“He was frightened, and he was blown away that the person who terrified him for years, this is his story, had become an elected official,” said Councilwoman Felicia Cowden.

Hawai‘i chefs interpret iconic island dish at 2024 Kaua‘i Poke Fest

Don Gusman, Joey Jamillarin and Hoku Keamoai of Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa took first place with a dish called ‘Throwback.’

Navy, NASA want to renew Kaua‘i leases – West Side locals show support, opposition

Navy & NASA personnel held scoping sessions across Kaua‘i last week, to gather comments that will shape an environmental impact statement.

Annual ‘Washed Up’ exhibition sees Kaua‘i artists turn marine debris into masterpieces

Over 20 artists submitted 60 pieces to the show now on display at the Kaua‘i Society of Artists gallery at the Kukui Grove Center in Līhu‘e.

Falck protests state’s decision to award new ambulance contracts to AMR

“We filed a notice of protest after identifying what appears to be a clear error in calculating Falck’s scores, along with inconsistencies in the evaluation criteria used to award the contracts,” said Troy Hagen, the chief commercial officer for Falck USA.

Grove Farm awards three $20K scholarships to Kaua‘i high school graduates

The 2024 Grove Farm Scholarship recipients include Jeanine Longboy, Madison Silva and Sofia Saunders.

PMRF honors Hawaiian place name as Major’s Bay becomes Waiapua‘a Bay

Approximately 40 people attended the ceremony, which included speeches from PMRF staff, county officials, and cultural advisors, beginning with a welcome oli (Hawaiian chant) and pule (prayer).

UFO float descends on Kaua‘i Pride Parade & Festival; speakers tell youth ‘You are loved’

Aliens aboard a flying saucer float were among the many attendees of the Sixth Annual Pride Parade & Festival in downtown Līhu‘e.

‘Distinguished gentlemen’ of Kaua‘i ride motorcycles for men’s health – in style

Garden Isle motorcyclists donned their most dapper clothing in support of a global event raising money for men’s health.
Load More Articles