Community

Kaua‘i County selects recipients for agriculture farm expansion grants

This is the first year that the county offered funding for AFEG with the intent to advance Kaua‘i’s agricultural industry through targeted investments in the expansion of farming across the island.

State libraries to have ‘newer, faster’ checkout

“We’re now able to check out stacks of books, CDs, DVDs and other materials at one time rather than individually,” said Stacey A. Aldrich, State Librarian in a Wednesday statement. “This will make getting in and out of the library much faster.”

Coco Palms developer, state officials deny claims of burial disturbances

Alan Downer, the administrator with the state Historic Preservation Division, the agency responsible for investigating possible burial disturbances, said there was no need to continue with a formal investigation after speaking with onsite archaeological monitor Nancy McMahon.

DLNR project combats non-native corals off Kaua‘i waters

The non-natives are not yet considered invasive because they’re isolated to a relatively small area and are small, and the DAR team plans to keep it that way.

Winning 2024 Miss Aloha Hula competition a dream come true for Oʻahu dancer

Kaʻōnohikaumakaakeawe Kananiokeakua Holokai Lopes is the fourth Miss Aloha winner in the past 4 consecutive years for hula hālau Ka Lā ʻŌnohi Mai O Haʻehaʻe and the second daughter of the group’s nā kumu hula.

Hawai‘i Tourism Authority launches dashboard to connect visitors with volunteer opportunities

“By integrating Kanu Hawai‘i’s system and their network of nonprofit organizations throughout the state, we are seamlessly connecting visitors with even more opportunities to improve our home for future generations,” said Daniel Nāho‘opi‘i, HTA’s interim president and CEO.

Teen author of ‘The Hanapēpē Hero’ touring Kaua‘i; meet her at Friday, Saturday events

Los Angeles high schooler Sasha Lee has strong family ties to the Garden Isle. Her children’s book is influenced by her late grandfather’s plantation-era childhood.

Kaua‘i hālau prepares for Merrie Monarch: ‘We’re not performers; we’re storytellers’

In 2022, Hālau Ka Lei Mokihana o Leināʻala – led by kumu hula Leināʻala Pavao Jardin – took first place in every category in which it competed.

Communication issues continue to delay arraignment for man charged with killing dog, assaulting owner

Jason Mearns, 47, appeared via Zoom from the  O‘ahu Community Correctional Center (OCCC) for his arraignment and plea for the March 17 incident, which involved him reportedly strangling a dog to death and then assaulting the pet’s owner outside the owner’s Kōloa residence. 

Box Jellyfish signs up at Salt Pond Beach Park, safety official advise avoiding swimming

Ocean Safety Bureau officials have posted “Box Jellyfish” signs at Salt Pond and Po‘ipū beach parks.

Kaua‘i police expands its fleet with 10 new pickup trucks

The production of the department’s current police cruiser, the Ford Police Interceptor Unit, was halted due to supply chain constraints caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Seeking other options to improve the efficiency of daily patrol operations instead of waiting for production to resume, KPD decided to acquire the Chevrolet Silverado.

Kaua‘i Fire Department, Ocean Safety Bureau host welcome and promotion ceremony

The departments honored 18 first responders Tuesday.

No tickets required this year for Hō‘ike, donations encouraged at event to help those impacted by Lāhainā fire

To kōkua (help) the people from West Maui, many of whom lost loved ones, their homes or both, the Merrie Monarch organizers decided to allow free admission to this year’s Hō’ike Night at Edith Kanaka‘ole Stadium tonight, with the option to donate to the Lāhainā community at the door.

Take a virtual tour at a conservation center on Big Island showcasing endangered Hawaiian birds

The Keauhou Bird Conservation Center, near Volcano, is one of two centers operated through a partnership between San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife, for the care and perpetuation of numerous critically endangered Hawaiian forest birds.

‘Hula is life’: Uniquely Hawaiian dance plays important role in perpetuating Native Hawaiian culture

Hula still connects people today to the foundation of Hawaiian knowledge and culture. It is a vehicle for historical and social commentary and passing down stories and information.

What you need to know about the 61st annual Merrie Monarch Festival

Get ready, world. The festival that celebrates everything hula and Hawaiian returns to Hilo on the Big Island from March 31 through April 6.

Kaua‘i County campgrounds to close for scheduled maintenance

Maintenance will take place at campgrounds on ‘Anini Beach Park, Lydgate Beach Park, Salt Pond Beach Park and Anahola Beach Park.

NOAA proposes national marine sanctuary in Papahānaumokuākea; public input sought

The proposed Papahānaumokuākea National Marine Sanctuary would supplement and complement existing authorities, including the area’s designation as a marine national monument, which will continue to be in effect.

Arraignment for man charged with killing dog, assaulting owner postponed for third time

47-year-old Jason Mearns was scheduled to appear before Fifth Circuit Court Judge Randal Valenciano for his arraignment and plea for the Mar. 17 incident, which involved him reportedly strangling a dog to death and then assaulting the pet’s owner outside the owner’s Koloa residence. 

Interim rule restricts movement of plant material in effort to prevent spread of little fire ants on O‘ahu

The rule could extend to Kaua‘i County.
Load More Articles