Starwood Capital Group is in court seeking permission to resume maintenance work at Princeville’s Makai Woods Golf Course and implement a safety plan.
In August 2025, Starwood Capital Group was prohibited from development and ground-disturbing activity at the Makai Woods Golf Course after plaintiffs Frances White and Lorraine Mull successfully blocked Starwood’s development plans, citing historical anthrax-infected cattle buried beneath parts of the golf course.
The Makai Woods Golf Course, abandoned by Starwood as a golf course in 2021, is located adjacent to more than 130 residential properties in Princeville. Starwood filed an appeal of the August 2025 ruling in September 2025.
The company contends that the August 2025 ruling by Judge Kathleen Watanabe effectively blocks normal maintenance activities, such as mowing and trimming, and access to underground utilities infrastructure.
Starwood stated this could pose public safety risks and is seeking approval to implement what it calls a “safety plan,” arguing that maintenance access is necessary before emergencies occur to ensure utility systems can be serviced and repaired.
Starwood’s latest motion appears to ask the court to allow “ground-disturbing” activity so long as the company complies with its safety plan. The plan is drafted by the same team whose anthrax soil-testing methodology was previously found to be designed to avoid detecting contamination.
Opponents argue that this is an attempt to sidestep an earlier court order restricting activity related to a proposed luxury housing development there.
“Hawaiʻi regulatory language expressly excludes routine mowing, weed cutting, and tree or bush trimming that leave the soil intact from the definition of ground-disturbing activity,” said plaintiff Frances White. “This latest action is simply an attempt by Starwood to circumvent Judge Watanabe’s ruling. In the event of an emergency, utility providers already have existing access easements on the property.”
Starwood ceased mowing operations last summer, claiming that even routine maintenance could be interpreted as “ground-disturbing activity” under the court’s order. Starwood maintains it cannot proceed without court approval, testing, and oversight.
Judge Stephanie Char said she will issue a ruling on this motion at 1:30 p.m. today (Tuesday, May 19).
