What’s your favorite extraterrestrial event in 2023? Take Kauaʻi Now’s 30-second poll
In 2023 there have been some out-of-this-world events spied from Earth — including from Maunakea on the Big Island — that have had the public, internet and social media buzzing.
- A green comet made a quick flyby through our solar system for the first time since mammoths and saber-toothed tigers roamed 50,000 years ago.
- A blue swirl that looked like a mini galaxy appeared in the sky above Maunakea after a rocket launch in Florida.
- Green laser lights descended from the heavens over the same Big Island summit, likely from a Chinese satellite.
- Auroras like what we call the Northern Lights were observed for the first time on several moons of Jupiter.
- New light on the amount of dark matter in the universe has been shed in an analysis by a University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy astronomer and his collaborators.
The results of the survey will be published on Sunday, March 5. You can explain your decision in the comment section below. Voting closes on Friday, March 3 at midnight.