Graduation held for 2023 class of 14 new adult correctional officers in Hawaiʻi
Fourteen recruits graduated from Basic Corrections Recruit Class training and will begin their careers as correctional officers in facilities across the state, according to the Hawaiʻi Department of Public Safety.
The ceremony was held at the Neal Blaisdell Center in Honolulu.
The 11-week training includes more than 400 hours of classroom time and physical training. Recruits learn standards of conduct, professionalism and ethics. They also learn report writing, interpersonal communications, maintaining security, crisis intervention, security threat groups (gangs), mental health, first aid, firearms and self-defense tactics.
The 14 new officers have been assigned to the following jail and prison facilities:
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center in Hilo: 4
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: 4
- Hālawa Correctional Facility in Honolulu: 3
- Women’s Community Correctional Center on Oʻahu: 2
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 1