Kaua‘i Humane Society announces ‘Home for the Holidays,’ other festive events
The Kaua‘i Humane Society is celebrating the holidays in a big way, with multiple activities and adoption opportunities scheduled throughout the next several weeks.
KHS, located off Kaumuali‘i Highway in Puhi, is the island’s only open-intake animal shelter. Some areas of the shelter are now 200% over capacity, according to the nonprofit organization.
“Your support is appreciated, big or small,” KHS representatives said.
- Hot Chocolate Bomb Workshop – Join the Kaua‘i Humane Society and a local chocolatier as you learn to make three hot chocolate bombs Sunday, Dec. 11 from 1 to 3 p.m. Participants will get to take home their hot chocolate bombs in a KHS mug and the molds to make even more hot chocolate bombs at home. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased at bit.ly/hotcocoworkshop
- Giving Tree – Supporters are welcome to stop into the lobby at KHS to donate! When supporters donate $20 or more, they are encouraged to select an ornament from the Giving Tree with a photo of a shelter pet to take home with them. Online donations can be made at bit.ly/kauaihumanedonation
- Empty the Shelters – Through Dec. 11 all senior animals (anyone over 7) are completely free to adopt, and all other animals are only $25 to adopt, thanks to the Bissell Pet Foundation. To view adoptable pets, visit kauaihumane.org, and to make an appointment, just click the “apply for adoption” button under the animal you’re interested in. Staff will call to schedule a time for you to come in and meet some animals.
- Home for the Holidays – KHS will be closed on Christmas Day and will close at 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve, so we encourage anyone who is able to foster a shelter pet over the Christmas holiday to participate in our Home for the Holidays program. We will give you all the supplies you’ll need to give a shelter pet a little extra love and attention this Christmas. Fostering is an incredibly helpful way to give back because the shelter is over capacity. It helps clear some space in the shelter, it gives the pet a break from the stress of the shelter environment, and it helps promote them to friends and family who may be able to help get the pet adopted. Learn more and sign up, click here.
- Holiday E-cards – KHS has a variety of holiday E-cards to choose from here. For as little as $25, supporters can donate in a loved one’s honor, and send them an E-card to let them know a gift was made in their name to the animals at KHS.
- Mission Mainland – There are more than 30 spots available at an extremely discounted rate thanks to a generous donor. Shelter pets can be adopted and transported to the West Coast or neighboring islands for only $300, and for only $500 they can be transported anywhere past the West Coast within the U.S. This deal includes everything needed to safely transport the shelter pet to the adopter’s nearest airport such as rabies vaccine, health certificate, travel crate, boarding and more.
KHS has held a no-kill status since 2019. In 2021, KHS’s positive release outcome rate averaged 96% for all animals. For more information about The Kaua‘i Humane Society visit kauaihumane.org.