Airport gets bulk of Kaua‘i’s capital improvement projects funding
More than $124.6 million in state funding is headed to Kaua‘i, for projects ranging from the relocation of a Līhuʻe Airport runway to the construction of a new gymnasium at Waimea High School.
The Kaua‘i-bound cashflow is part of $306.8 million dedicated to capital improvement projects across the state. Then-Gov. David Ige announced the release of the funds on Sunday, Dec. 4, one day before new Governor Josh Green was sworn into office.
More than half of the Kaua‘i-specific funds will be spent on renovations at Līhuʻe Airport, to resolve elements at odds with Federal Aviation Administration safety recommendations. More information about past, current and planned projects at Kaua‘i’s primary airport may be viewed online at hawaiiairportsmodernization.com.
All local and statewide capital improvement projects funding announced on Dec. 4 is listed below:
- $3,954,000 for design and construction for various projects for the Department of Health facilities on Oʻahu and Kauaʻi.
- $3.5 million for modifications to the Kekaha Ditch Irrigation System on Kauaʻi.
- $1.6 million to finance construction for repairs to Hanalei Bridge on Kauaʻi.
- $150,034 in additional design and construction funds to provide a contingency for the CT scan room renovation project at Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital on Kaua‘i.
- $87,458,000 to finance the construction costs to relocate Runway 3-21 at Līhuʻe Airport on Kauaʻi.
- $1 million to finance the construction costs of Runway 3-21 and Taxiway B rehabilitation at Līhuʻe Airport on Kauaʻi.
- $27 million to finance design and construction for a new gymnasium and athletic facilities at Waimea High School on Kaua‘i.
- $5 million to finance the construction costs for Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting truck shelters at airports statewide.
- $20 million to finance minor capital improvement projects for the University of Hawai‘i community colleges system statewide.
- $5 million to finance the design costs associated with electrical engineering services to support commercial harbors development activities statewide.
- $20 million into the state’s Dwelling Unit Revolving Fund to finance construction of affordable housing projects, statewide.
- $3 million to address immediate repairs, deferred maintenance, related support and improvements of Hawai‘i Department of Public Safety statewide facilities.
- $5,125,000 for construction for various sub-projects related to public facilities and sites statewide.
- $1.2 million for plans for multiple transit-oriented development projects in neighbor island counties, statewide.
- $3.15 million to finance additional land acquisition and design for the Statewide Coastal Highway Program statewide.
- $3 million to finance design and construction for improvements to support ongoing and planned Americans with Disabilities Act improvements at various schools statewide.
- $2 million to finance design and construction to provide gender equity at schools where athletic programs for girls and boys have disproportionately sized or located facilities, statewide.
- $5 million to finance design and construction necessary to support ongoing and planned health and safety improvements to school grounds and facilities to maintain and enhance healthy environments in schools, statewide.
- $16 million to finance design and construction for program support improvements of existing or new school facilities, statewide.