Mayor Kawakami, Kauaʻi County Council sworn into office at inauguration ceremony
Kauaʻi Mayor Derek S.K. Kawakami and the 2022-2024 Kaua‘i County Council were sworn into office Dec. 1 during an inauguration ceremony at the Kaua‘i War Memorial Convention Hall.
Judge Jonathan J. Chun swore in Mayor Kawakami – who will serve a second term – and the new County Council members.
“We are proud of our work in our first term,” Mayor Kawakami said. ” While many chapters in our journey are complete, we have much more that lies ahead.
“With four years left, our Administration intends to finish what we started. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for partnering with us to continue the good work for the people of Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau.”
The 2022-2024 Kaua‘i County Council members include Council Chair Mel Rapozo, Council Vice Chair KipuKai Kuali‘i, Addison Bulosan, Bernard P. Carvalho Jr., Felicia Cowden, Bill DeCosta and Luke A. Evslin.
Leading the Office of the County Clerk are County Clerk Jade K. Fountain-Tanigawa and Deputy County Clerk Lyndon Yoshioka.
“To the voters of Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau who have put their faith in us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts,” Council Chair Rapozo said. “Knowing that you have placed your faith in us, we will work hard every single day to ensure that you are well-represented.
“Great things can be accomplished in these next two years if we all work together. The Mayor and his team, the Council, and the people of Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau all share in the responsibility to make Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau a better place. We are confident that we will do just that.”
The members of Mayor Kawakami’s cabinet include:
- Managing Director Michael A. Dahilig
- Chief of Staff Sarah K. Blane
- Finance Director Reiko Matsuyama
- Finance Deputy Michelle Lizama
- County Attorney Matthew Bracken
- First Deputy County Attorney Mahealani Krafft
- Boards and Commissions Administrator Ellen Ching
- County Engineer Troy Tanigawa
- Deputy Engineer Boyd Gayagas
- Parks Director Pat Porter
- Parks Deputy Wally Rezentes Jr.
- Planning Director Kaʻāina Hull
- Planning Deputy Director Jodi Higuchi Sayegusa
- Housing Director Adam Roversi
- Office of Economic Development Director Nalani Brun
- Executive on Aging Kealoha Takahashi
- Assistant Executive on Aging Donna Lynn Loo
- Human Resources Director Annette Anderson
- Kaua‘i Emergency Management Agency Administrator Elton Ushio
- Executive on Transportation Celia Mahikoa
- Assistant Executive on Transportation Leonard Peters
- Department of Water Manager and Chief Engineer Joseph Tait
- Department of Water Deputy Manager-Engineer Michael Hinazumi
- Liquor Director Leo Sandoval
- Liquor Assistant Chief Stacy Iwasaki
- Fire Chief Michael Gibson
- Deputy Fire Chief Roger Mills
- Police Chief Todd Raybuck
The Inauguration Ceremony and County Council Meeting will air on Hō‘ike, channel 53, starting Dec. 2, for two weeks.
The events will also be available for viewing on the county website, www.kauai.gov, starting on Dec. 2 in the afternoon.