Hawaii News

Firefighters to resume battling growing brush fire on Big Island Monday morning

Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

On Sunday evening, Capt. Chris Carvalho with the Hawaiʻi Fire Department, said a brush fire that started at midday in the rural town of Pāhala on the island’s east side was not contained and would be monitored overnight to ensure it did not spread into residential areas.

Officials said Sunday evening that approximately 66 acres had burned so far. This morning, fire officials confirmed the blaze had consumed 100 acres and remains uncontained.

Capt. Chris Carvalho discusses with other firefighters plans to battle a brush fire that broke out midday Sunday in Pāhala that was not contained and had burned 66 acres so far. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley

“It was a normal Sunday until we got the call,” Capt. Carvalho said Sunday night.

He was at Station 11 in Pāhala on Sunday night discussing overnight plans to watch the fire overnight. He said firefighting operations would resume at daylight on Monday. 


In the morning, conditions are not good to fight a fire. The Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense issued a Red Flag warning, with northeast winds expected of 20 to 30 mph, with higher gusts and low humidity.

Volunteer firefighter Liz Polido heard about the fire through the radio system. There was a call for volunteer firefighters in the area to join in the effort. 

  • Firefighters at Station 11 in Pāhala. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley
  • About 30 volunteer firefighters helped fight the brush fire in Pāhala. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley
  • Hawaiʻi Fire Department Capt. Chris Carvalho at Station 11 in Pāhala. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley
  • A firefighter gets the fire engine at Station 11 in Pāhala ready to resume operations in the morning to battle a brushfire. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley
  • Fire crews battled a brush fire in Pāhala that burned at least 66 acres by Sunday evening and was being monitored through the night until fire fighting operations could resume on Monday morning. Photo Credit: Megan Moseley

“It was intense because of the strong winds. It was fast-moving,” Polido said while cleaning off the firetruck. 


Capt. Carvalho said about 30 volunteers arrived to help battle the brush fire. It had begun around Maile Street, causing the road closures of Maile Street and Moaula Road in the area.

It also caused the evacuation of two homes. But no structures were burned as of Sunday night, Capt. Carvalho said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation and is not known at this time.


Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Kauai Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments