AARP Hawai‘i wants to honor volunteers dedicated to community service.
The organization is now accepting nominations for its 2022 Andrus Award for Community Service. The award honors volunteers who are 50 and older who share their experience, talent and skills to enrich the lives of community members.
“AARP Hawai‘i is excited to shine a light on volunteers who are using what they’ve learned in life to make a difference in the lives around them,” Keali‘i Lopez, AARP Hawai‘i state director, said in a press release.
Nomination forms are available online. The deadline to submit a nomination is Sept. 1. The award recipient will be announced in early fall.
Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following requirements:
- Be 50 years or older.
- Achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis, without pay. Volunteers receiving small stipends to cover the costs associated with the volunteer activity are eligible.
- Achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP’s vision and purpose.
- Achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must be replicable and provide inspiration for others to volunteer.
- Partisan political achievements, accomplishments or service will not be considered.
- Couples or partners who perform service together are eligible; however, teams are not.
- Previous Andrus Award recipients are not eligible.
- Volunteers serving on the Andrus Award selection committee are not eligible.
- AARP staff members are not eligible.
- This is not a posthumous award.
Winners will recognized during a luncheon and receive a crystal award. AARP Hawai‘i also will donate $1,000 to the nonprofit of their choice. Nominees will receive a nomination pin.
Last year, AARP recognized 49 outstanding individuals and couples from throughout the country with the community service award. The award is named after AARP’s founder, Ethel Percy Andrus.
Contact AARP Hawai`i Outreach Director Jackie Boland at email@example.com or 808-525-6005 for more information.