More than $200 million is included in the final version of the state budget for several capital improvement projects on Kauaʻi.
A joint press release from state Senate President Ronald D. Kouchi, who represents Kauaʻi and Niʻihau, and the Kauaʻi state House delegation, which includes Reps. Nadine Nakamura, Dee Morikawa and James Kunane Tokioka, said the Senate and House money committees unanimously approved the budget bill for the fiscal biennium 2021-23.
“Our delegation worked extremely hard this session to secure these funds for the people of Kauaʻi,” said Kouchi in the release. “The past few years have been difficult due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and we believe that these appropriations will go a long way in addressing long-standing issues in our community.”
Capital improvement project funds appropriated in the budget for the island include:
- $3.5 million for plans, design, construction and equipment for modifications to the Kekaha Ditch Irrigation System.
- $1.5 million for the design, construction and equipment for gym improvements at Kauaʻi High School.
- $1,182,000 for various improvements and repair projects at Koloa Elementary School.
- $1 million for design, construction and renovation of the Emergency Department at Kauaʻi Veterans Memorial Hospital.
- $8 million for improvements, construction and renovations for the Kauaʻi region of the Hawaiʻi Health Systems Corp.
- $380,000 for plans, designs and improvements at Samuel Mahelona Hospital.
- $1.25 million for land acquisition of property at Halulu Fishpond (partial matching funds will be provided by Kauaʻi County).
- $2 million for construction repair of Queensland crossing along Wailua Access Road (Loop Road).
- $4.1 million for plans, designs and construction of a new boat ramp at Kikiola Harbor.
- $2.5 million for plans, design and construction for improvements at the Kokeʻe/Waimea Canyon State Park Complex.
- $4.7 million for plans, designs and construction for various improvements at Polihale State Park.
- $3,766,000 for improvements at the Hanapēpē Stadium.
- $13 million for various improvements to the track and field at Vidinha Stadium.
- $19.7 million for design, construction and other improvements to the Wailua-Kapaʻa Water System.
- $124.1 million for design, construction and improvements to various facilities at the Līhuʻe Airport.
- $2 million for plans, land acquisition, design and construction at Nāwiliwili Harbor.
- $2 million for plans, design, construction and land acquisition for Port Allen Harbor.
- $4.3 million for design, construction and installation of guardrails in various areas on Kauaʻi.
- $100,000 for renovations and improvements to the state Department of Transportation’s Kauaʻi District Baseyard.
- $1 million for land acquisition and widening of Kaumualiʻi Highway.
- $4 million for land acquisition, construction and improvements at Kolo Road/Kalamania Road.
- $500,000 for construction on Kūhiō Highway (Laukini Road to Kapule Highway).
- $8 million for the repair of the Hanalei Bridge.
- $2,001,000 for plans, construction and equipment of a light signalization near Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center and Wailua Golf Course.
- $400,000 for slope stabilization at Lumahaʻi Hillside.
- $6.8 million for miscellaneous improvements to existing intersections and highway facilities on Kauaʻi.
- $1,501,000 for construction and equipment for repairs to the Wailua River Bridge.
- $7.7 million for road repairs and installation of guardrails, pavement markings and other improvements on Waimea Canyon Drive/Kokeʻe Road.