Coast Guard Suspends Search For Missing Surfer
The Coast Guard suspended the active search Thursday evening for the missing 41-year-old male surfer off Rock Quarry Beach.
He was identified earlier as Huy Nguyen, of Moloaʿa.
“A total of 40 searches were conducted covering 631 square miles totaling 95 hours of active searching,” said Petty Officer 3rd Class Alex Hoek, a search and rescue coordinator at Sector Honolulu. “We have suspended the search pending any new information, our hearts go out to the family and friends during this difficult time.”
At 7:45, p.m., Monday, Sector Honolulu watchstanders received a report from the Kaua‘i Fire Department stating a surfer was missing off Rock Quarry Beach where he had been surfing with his son.
Sector Honolulu watchstanders issued an urgent marine information broadcast notice to mariners and deployed crews from Coast Guard Station Kaua‘i 45-foot Response Boat-Medium, Air Station Barbers Point MH-65 Dolphin helicopter, and the Coast Guard Cutter Oliver Berry to search the area.
Kaua‘i Fire Department deployed ground crews to the area while Navy Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 37 deployed a MH-60R Sea Hawk helicopter crew to assist.
“I am sincerely grateful to all of the agencies and individuals who had no hesitation assisting with this operation. This was another extensive search within the time span of one week, where everyone put in an incredible amount of time and effort, especially considering the dangerous surf conditions and strong currents that occur on Kauaʿi’s North Shore during the winter season,” said KPD’s Investigative Services Bureau Assistant Chief Bryson Ponce. “We offer our sincere condolences to Huy’s family and friends. I understand that he was a beloved family man and a kind community member who will be sorely missed.”