State: 8 Inmates at KCCC Test Positive for COVID
The state Department of Public Safety reported Monday that eight inmates at Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center in Līhuʻe have tested positive for COVID-19.
The positive cases were among 44 inmate test results received by the department.
COVID-19 testing is continuously being conducted in state prisons and jails as well as the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz.
The latest testing updates for the correctional facilities are:
- Kaua‘i Community Correctional Center: 44 inmate test results; eight positive, 36 negative.
- Hawai‘i Community Correctional Center (Big Island): Five inmate test results; one positive, four negative. Two positive staff test results were reported.
- Halawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): 116 inmate test results; 27 positive, 89 negative, 107 inmates have recovered. There was also one positive employee result reported.
- O‘ahu Community Correctional Center: Four positive inmate test results and four positive staff test results reported.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: 42 inmate test results; three positive, 39 negative, 58 inmates have recovered. One positive staff test result and two staff recoveries were reported.
- Waiawa Correctional Facility (O‘ahu): One positive staff test result reported.
COVID-19 updates for other DPS Divisions:
- Sheriff Division: One positive staff test result reported.
The Department of Public Safety continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more detailed inmate testing data, the department’s Pandemic Plan and information about response efforts made to safeguard inmates, staff and the public, visit the DPS’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage.