Grants Available for Recycling, Waste Diversion Projects
The Solid Waste Division is now accepting grant applications for projects that increase recycling and waste diversion in Kaua‘i. A total of $7,500 is available in the new competitive grant program.
According to a county press release issued Tuesday, Dec. 28, nonprofit agencies and for-profit businesses are encouraged to submit proposals for an array of projects. Examples of programs and projects that are eligible for funding include manufacturing recycled products on Kaua‘i, creating recycled art products, capturing recycled materials for processing, and other innovative programs directly related to recycling and waste diversion.
Applications are available on the county website, www.kauai.gov/recyclinggrants. The deadline to turn in a grant application is 3 p.m. on Jan. 14.
Judging of the grant application will be based on the following criteria, with 30 possible points:
- Project Strength, planning, and goals – possible 10 points.
- Project Impact and potential to effect waste diversion – possible five points.
- Measurability of Project’s Success – possible five points.
- Experience of organization in implementing similar projects – possible five points.
- Budget feasibility – possible five points.
A selection committee will review the proposals and rank them according to their overall scores. The projects that are chosen for a grant award may receive full or partial funding.
Applications can be emailed to Keola Aki at [email protected]. Call Keola at 808-241-4195 or email him at the above address for more information.