Thirty inmates at Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center have recovered from COVID-19. Active cases among prisoners now stand at 35.
As of Aug. 23, active cases among KCCC staff are two with one recovered. With a bed capacity of 110, the jail is housing 128 inmates, according to the Department of Public Safety (PSD) bi-monthly jail population report.
COVID-19 testing is continuously being conducted in the state prisons and jails as well as in the contracted Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy, Ariz. PSD continues to encourage all staff and inmates to voluntarily get tested and receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
The latest testing updates received for the correctional facilities are as follows:
- Oʻahu Community Correctional Center – 17 inmate test results: 10 positive, seven negative. One positive staff test result received and one (1) employee has recovered.
- Maui Community Correctional Center – 10 inmate test results: four positive, six negative.
- Kauaʻi Community Correctional Center – 59 inmate test results: 15 positive, 44 negative. One additional positive inmate is noted as tested positive in the community prior to intake in KCCC. 14 inmates have recovered, bringing the total active positive inmate count to 35. One positive staff test result was also reported.
- Halawa Correctional Facility – Three (3) inmate test results: Two (2) positive, one (1) negative. Two (2) positive staff test results.
- Women’s Community Correctional Center – 276 negative inmate test results. Two positive staff test results.
- Hawaiʻi Community Correctional Center – Seven negative inmate test results.
For more detailed inmate testing data, PSD’s Pandemic Plan and information on response efforts made to safeguard the inmates, staff and public, visit the dedicated COVID-19 webpage.