Kauai News

Pup Rescued 4 Days After Falling Into Waimea Canyon Ravine

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

A 1-year-old dog is getting a second chance at life after being rescued by search and rescue volunteers out of a steep ravine in Waimea Canyon earlier this week.

Kaua‘i Search and Rescue K-9 Team got the call Monday, July 26, about Loke. The pup was out hunting with its owners when it got bumped down into the nearly 600-foot ravine ravine while pursuing a boar.

It’s not common for the KSAR team to go out on search and rescues for dogs. Mostly, the volunteers respond to searches for missing persons after Kaua‘i Police Department has already responded.

“It’s risky, but that’s our job,” said Niv Ben Aris, KSAR TECH 2 team member. “We don’t discriminate.”

It took a couple days for the search to start as weather conditions weren’t optimal. Additionally, the volunteer response team had to gather available crew, equipment and a plan before going out on their search for Loke. The hunters checked on the pup every day with only hearing barks till help arrived, a KSAR Facebook posted stated.


On Wednesday morning, July 28, the team set out with the dog’s two hunters to find the animal.

The seven-person team met at Koke‘e Lodge at approximately 8 a.m. and started their with the dog’s two hunters at around 9 a.m. Aris said the crew hiked for about an hour when it started to rain.

Aris described the area as steep terrain.

“At around 11 a.m., we heard a howl,” Aris said. “The dog was calling us.”

It was hard to determine where exactly her cries were coming from as the animal’s voice was bouncing in the canyon, but hunters were able to guide them to the dog’s last known location.


At approximately 11:30 a.m.,  two crew members started the descent into the ravine as far as they could without using ropes. At about 500 feet, Aris said, the team members anchored to some trees rappeled down to the dog.

Loke was found resting on a shelf with no serious injuries’ other than being underweight and a few small scratches. The dog was happy to see her rescuers, Aris noted.

“She seemed OK — very skinny,” he added. “When you think about it, she was in great condition. She was very hungry.  She was there for four days.”

According to KSAR, Loke was fitted with a harness and secured in a backpack as rescuers ascended to the top.

“She was then treated with water and food by the team and owners, even walked over to give kisses,” the KSAR Facebook post stated.


After about a six-hour operation, everyone went home safe to the their families, including Loke.

“This dog got a second chance,” Aris said. “That’s the most important thing.”

KSAR is a nonprofit organization run by volunteers.

“Doing this was a beautiful, uncommon event that was full of great experiences,” said KSAR team member Chalsie “Honu” Leia Quel.

Click here for more information about Kaui Search and Rescue.


Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Kauai Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments