HIDOE Grab-and-Go Summer Meals Start in June
The Grab-and-Go meal service at Hawaii’s schools begins June 4 and runs until July 19.
The Hawai‘i State Department of Education (HIDOE) will be distributing food during the lunch hour. Pick-ups will include one lunch for that day and one breakfast for the following day, per child. Meals will be provided Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. All children ages 18 and younger may participate at approximately 80 distribution sites statewide, regardless of their enrollment status.
“We know that this service will help our students achieve educational opportunities by providing reliable and nutritious meals throughout the summer months,” said Randall Tanaka, assistant superintendent, Office of Facilities and Operations. “We encourage all children in the community to take advantage of this opportunity.”
Families are encouraged to visit their nearest participating school — and not visit multiple locations — to ensure that schools can produce the appropriate number of meals each day. Contact the school of your choice for more details. Sponsor sites at public agencies, churches and nonprofit organizations will also be distributing meals to children over the summer. Details will be forthcoming.
For special diet accommodations, send an email to [email protected].
Parents or guardians who choose to pick up meals without their child(ren) present must provide one of the following verification documents daily:
- An official letter or email from the school listing child(ren) enrolled.
- Recent student report card(s).
- Attendance record(s) from parent portals of school websites.
- Birth certificate(s) of child(ren).
- Student ID card(s).
- Driver’s permit/license(s) for high school students.
- A state-issued ID of the student.
The following schools participating in the program are below:
- Kapaʻa Elementary, located at 4886 Kawaihau Road in Kapaʻa, will offer meals from 10:15-10:45 a.m
- Kekaha Elementary, located at 8140 Kekaha Road in Kekaha, will offer meals from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.