Twenty-five individuals have been released from quarantine or isolation out of the 38 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Kaua‘i County, leaving only nine active cases.
During the county’s COVID-19 briefing on Thursday, Mayor Derek Kawakami said many of the close contacts identified in two household clusters last month have been released from quarantine and several more are expected to be released in the coming days.
“While today’s update is encouraging, we cannot let our guard down — especially as we approach the Fourth of July holiday weekend,” Kawakami said.
Kawakami empathized, that he knows people are eager to celebrate and socialize, but “we are pleading with you to follow best practices.”
Ideally, the mayor said, people should celebrate the holiday at home with immediate family members only.
“However, if you are planning to gather outside the home, wear a mask, practice social distancing and stay outdoors as much as possible,” Kawakami advised.
The Hawai‘i Department of Health will continue its contact tracing investigation. Anyone identified as a close contact with a possible positive case will be notified and offered a test.
Watch Kawakami’s full COVID-19 daily update in the video above.