No new positive COVID-19 cases have been identified in connection to a household cluster discovered last week.
Kaua‘i District health officials contacted several dozen individuals who were tested for the virus on June 19-20. All tests have returned negative results as of Monday. However, these contacts remain in quarantine and continue to be monitored – because illness can develop at any time during the 14-day incubation period.
Kaua‘i District Health Officer Janet Berreman said a few additional contacts have been identified and tested, and those test results will be available in the next few days.
“As we continue monitoring contacts who are in quarantine, and identifying additional contacts, we will continue testing and possibly re-testing in order to identify anyone else who may become ill,” Berreman said.
There is no indication the initial outbreak was travel related. The investigation is ongoing. The island’s cumulative case count stands at 29. The eight active cases remain in isolation.
“While these tests results are encouraging, we cannot let our guard down,” said Mayor Derek Kawakami. “We continue to manage this outbreak carefully. Once again, it reminds us of our need to take recommended measures to protect our friends and fellow residents.”
Some of these recommendations are to:
·Wear a cloth mask whenever away from home and near individuals not part of your immediate household.
·When interacting with people from outside your household, maintain a distance of 6 feet of separation.
·Stay at home as much as possible.
·Do not leave home if you are sick unless you are seeking medical attention.
·Wash hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds, and avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
For local updates, visit the Kaua‘i Emergency Management Agency page, www.kauai.gov/COVID-19.